- Estherville High School, Estherville, Iowa – 1979.
- University of Iowa, Bachelor of Arts in Economics- 1983.
- University of Iowa College of Law, Juris Doctor- 1986.
WORK EXPERIENCE IN THE LEGAL FIELD:
- 1986- Law clerk and bailiff for then Arizona Superior Court Judge Frederick J. Martone.
- 1987-1992- Deputy Maricopa County Public Defender- felony trial lawyer
- 1992 – Assistant Dickinson County Attorney, Spirit Lake, IA.
- 1993-2001- Solo general private law practice in the Iowa Great Lakes area.
- 2001-2007 – Assistant Federal Defender representing individuals charged with federal crimes.
- 2007- present – Solo private practice in Sioux City, IA, – primarily immigration law and criminal defense.
OTHER ACTIVITIES AND HONORS:
- Top 1 Percent – National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Member Magistrate Nominating Commission -United States District Court for Northern District of Iowa 2015-2016
- Member National Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Member American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and member of the Iowa-Nebraska Chapter
- Life Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL). 2 terms as a Director on the NACDL Board of Directors. First Iowa attorney to serve on the NACDL Board of Directors.
- Former Chair of the Criminal Law Section of the Iowa State Bar Association (ISBA) and co-chairing the Indigent Defense Task Force of the ISBA.
- Former Public member of the Iowa Sentencing Commission.
- Former Chair of the Indigent Defense Committee NACDL
- Panelist for Hearings on the right to counsel in criminal proceedings, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Legal Aid. The results of those hearings were published by the American Bar Association in 2004, Gideon’s Broken Promise: America’s Continuing Quest for Equal Justice.
- Member P.E.O, President Chapter JH, Treasurer Sioux City Reciprocity
- Member Rotary
- Vice Chair and Member Board of Trustees Sioux City Public Museum
- Former Vice chair and Member Sioux City Historic Preservation Commission
- Member Le Mars Flute Choir and All America Concert Band
- Speaker at community groups such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Sioux City Human Rights Commission and others